VINHA DOS SANTOS WHITE 2017
- Denomination: D.O.C.
- Region: DOURO
- Type: White wine
- Alcohol content: 12%
- pH: 3.24
- The Wine: Vinho dos Santos White is a fruity wine combined with an exceptionally smooth and fresh profile. Ready for consumption at an early age.
- Winemaking Year: The year 2017 was an unusual one in the Douro region. The winter was sunny and very dry. The month of June was the hottest since 1980. The weather conditions caused a slump in production throughout the region. Guaranteeing the quality of the grapes. The change in the weather conditions resulted in a year marked by challenges and hard work in relation to growing the grapes, which, despite all the adversity, revealed the remarkable capacity of our vines to adapt.
- Varieties: Malvasia Fina, Gouveio and Rabigato.
Grapes from the Quinta do Castelo estate in Sanhoane, 21 km from Quinta dos Frades.
- Vineyards: Shale soil.
Old vines replanted at an altitude of 500 metres.
- Vinification: The grapes are screened manually in 20 kg crates and transported in cold storage trucks. On arrival at the wine cellar the grapes are placed in the pneumatic press without being destalked, and pressed in a gentle manner. Dry ice is added as a means of preventing oxidation. The dry ice occupies the atmosphere and replaces the oxygen, thereby preserving the quality of the must.
After pressing the must is cold decanted for 48 hours. After this decantation process it is put through a fermentation vat and, after inoculation with active yeast, the supervised, temperature-controlled fermentation process begins.
- Ageing and Bottling: Aged in a stainless steel vat for 3 months.
Bottled in April 2018.
- Production: 9,000 bottles
- Allergen information: Contains sulphites
- Enology: Anselmo Mendes