VINHA DOS DEUSES ROSÉ 2017
- Denomination: D.O.C.
- Region: DOURO
- Type: Rosé wine
- Alcohol content: 12.5%
- The Wine: Vinho dos Deuses Rosé is a salmon-coloured wine with an intense aroma of wild berry notes and an air of flowery freshness. It lingers in the mouth, and features good acidity and a fruity aftertaste.
- Winemaking Year: The year 2017 was an unusual one in the Douro region. The winter was sunny and very dry. The month of June was the hottest since 1980. The weather conditions caused a slump in production throughout the region. Despite all this major adversity, the capacity of our vines to adapt was evident. This capacity became clear in the wine cellars in the form of the intense colours and exuberant fruity aroma. Without doubt, the change in the conditions made it a year marked by challenges and hard farming work.
- Varieties: 100% Touriga Nacional.
- Vineyards: Shale soil.
The grapes are from old plateau vines (over 30 years old) from the Quinta dos Frades estate.
- Vinification: The grapes are screened manually in 20 kg crates and transported in cold storage trucks.
The grapes, on arrival at the wine cellar, are placed in the pneumatic press without being destalked, where the must is macerated with grape skin until they turn salmon coloured. Dry ice is added to the press as a means of preventing oxidation. The dry ice occupies the atmosphere and replaces the oxygen with carbon dioxide, thereby preserving the quality of the must. The dry ice also helps cool the must.
After pressing, the must undergoes a cold decantation process for 48 hours. After this decantation process it is put through a fermentation vat and, after inoculation with active yeast, the supervised, temperature-controlled fermentation process begins.
- Ageing and Bottling: Aged for 4 months in a stainless steel vat on fine lees (Batonnage).
Bottled in April 2018.
- Production: 3,000 bottles
- Allergen information: Contains sulphites
- Enology: Anselmo Mendes