COMENDADOR DELFIM FERREIRA GRANDE RESERVE RED 2015
- Denomination: D.O.C.
- Region: DOURO
- Type: Red wine
- Alcohol content: 14.5%
- pH: 3.6
- Acidity: 5.0 g/l
- The Wine: This wine is a tribute paid by the grandchildren of Comendador Delfim Ferreira, who have prepared it with particular care in both the harvesting of the grapes and the entire winemaking process itself. They have dedicated it to their grandfather, a character that still provides us with inspiration today and is worthy of such continued homage.
This black fruity wine is full-bodied and complex. It lingers in the mouth, and features solid tannins and a potential for ageing.
- Winemaking Year: The winter of 2015 was cold and rainy, followed by a warm spring and a mild summer. The wine harvest was slightly early, with spells of rain in mid-September, but which did not harm the health and balance of the grapes.
- Varieties: A mixture of traditional Douro varieties, with a predominance of Touriga Franca, Tinta Amarela and Bastardo.
- Vineyards: Shale soil.
This wine is produced with grapes from old vines (over 90 years old) from the Quinta dos Frades estate. Farming machinery is not allowed among these old vines planted on steep slopes, and the crop practice used is an animal-drawn iron plough.
- Vinification: The grapes are screened manually, destalked and foot trodden in granite presses in which the alcoholic fermentation takes place. Malolactic fermentation occurs in a stainless steel vat, followed by ageing in a barrel. The batch of this wine is prepared through the careful selection of the best barrels.
- Ageing and Bottling: 12 months in new French oak barrels.
Aged in a bottle for 18 months.
Bottled in March 2017.
- Production: 4,000 bottles
- Allergen information: Contains sulphites
- Enology: Anselmo Mendes